In this article we compare and learn about .COM and .NET Domain Extension. Before learning about .Net vs. Com, let’s first understand-
What is Domain name extension?
Domain name extension is identifying text which appear as a part of your website’s URL address. It depends on the type of domain extension you have used.
When you type a website URL into a web browser like Google Chrome or Apple Safari, you are using a domain name.
“https://www.techyinc.tech/” is the URL for the homepage of Victorious SEO. The domain name for our company website, however, is “techyinc.tech”.
So, essentially, your domain name is part of your URL.
URLs contain more information than your domain name. They let your internet browser know if your website data is encrypted (HTTP vs HTTPS) and in some cases, uses query strings to bring your website visitors to their intended destination.
What Does a Domain Extension Signify?
Before it can be confirmed or disputed that it is better for your website to end in .com vs other domains, the function of the domain extension must be better understood.
It’s not uncommon for internet users to be under the impression that all domains are equal and interchangeable, having no real elements of differentiation.But this isn’t the case.
Extensions like .edu, .gov and .org, for example, are only used by specific entities— with the .edu extension representing an educational institute, .gov representing government agencies, and .org representing non-profit organizations.
Furthermore, domain extensions like .cn or .uk are used to indicate the location, with .cn referring to China and .uk referring to the United Kingdom.
If you are uncertain about the significance of a particular domain, it’s always best to do a little digging before making your selection.
What is .com extension?
.com is a widely used top-level domain (TLD) extension. It includes all business websites, personal websites, blogs, portfolios, and almost anything in between. .com extension mostly represents products or services. “Com” is a short form for “Commercial.”
What is .Net extension?
.net domain name extension is derived from the network, which indicates that it is created for organizations involved in networking technologies.
The .net domain is the second most popular domain name extension. It is often presented as an alternative to .com when you try to buy a domain name that already exists. The .net domain name extension was initially meant to be used for network and network-related products.
- .Com is a widely used domain name extension that mostly represents product or service whereas .net domain name extension is derived from the network, which indicates that it is created for networking organizations.
- .com refers to a “commercial” domain whereas .net in the .net domain name extension, which represents “network”.
- Buying the desired .com domain could be hard as more than 50% sites are already used .com while .net websites will need more marketing efforts to compete with a similar .com sites.
- .Com is suited for business web platforms, eCommerce stores, personal websites, blogs, and various other general categories on the other hand .net is a suitable extension for the internet, email, and networking service providers.
- As per RFC 1591, .com domain extension is intended for commercial entities on the contrary .net domain extension is intended to use only the computers of network providers.
When should you choose a com Domain Name?
Here, are the applications of .com domain name extension:
- It should be used by a professional entity as its credibility.
- It is easier to remember than other popular domain name extensions.
- It is highly recognisable and is seen as a reliable marker for trustworthiness and professionalism.
When should you choose Net Domain Extension?
Here, are the applications of using .Net domain name extension:
- You can use .net domain name if you are going to offer networking, internet, database, and email hosting, or similar type of services.
- There are many businesses that register a .net domain extension for their brand so that other person does not use it on their business name.
- It can be used for speed checking websites such as “speedtest.net”. This allows users to check their internet speed in real-time.
- Many business owners wish to buy both .com and .net domain extensions to make sure nobody else could defame their company’s reputation.
Difference between .com vs .net
Here are the main differences between.Com and .Net Domain Extension:
|.Com is a widely used domain name extension that mostly represents product or service.||.net domain name extension is derived from the network, which indicates that it is created for organizations involved in networking technologies.|
|.Com refers to a “commercial” domain.||.NET in the .net domain name extension, which represents “network”.|
|It includes business web platforms, eCommerce stores, personal websites, blogs, and various other general categories.||It is a suitable extension for the internet, email, and networking service providers.|
|As per RFC 1591, this domain extension is intended for commercial entities, that is, companies.||As per RFC 1591, this domain extension is intended to use only the computers of network providers.|
|The .Com domain is an ideal extension for commercial domain names.||Net is appropriate for technology related websites.|
|The.com extension costs approximately $8 to $16 per year.||The .Net extension costs approximately $10 to $15 per year.|
|Helps you to establish credibility for business websites||Easier to get a domain name.|
|It is quite costly to buy an existing domain and a time-consuming job to find the right one available for your business.||These websites will need more marketing efforts to compete with a similar .com site.|
Advantages of .com
Here are advantages of using .com domain extension:
- It is more familiar domain extension to a wider audience.
- Affordable extension options.
- It helps you to establish credibility for business websites.
- Most businesses prefer a .com domain as it is highly known symbol of a business and commercial presence.
- .com is a mobile-friendly web domain with dedicated key support.
- It is easier to build a brand using a .com domain extension because peoples are already familiar with it.
- It helps you to establish a stronger online presence with a .com website name as these domains most likely to rank better than most other domain extensions.
Advantages of .net
Here are advantages of using .net domain extension:
- Better for service-based businesses and network providers.
- Easier to get a domain name.
- Ranks in SEO just as quickly as .com
- It can help you in marketing for service-based businesses.
- You can easily locate the .net domain name in the web world.
- It is the most common extension for technology websites.
Disadvantages of .com
Here are disadvantages of using .com domain extension:
- More than 50% websites are based on .com so finding the right domain name that is not used can be a tough job.
- The .com domain extension is mostly used for commercial purposes, so you cannot use it for non-profit website.
Disadvantages of .Net
Here, are few disadvantages of the .net domain extension:
- .net websites need to be marketed harder to compete with a similar .com site.
- If your business is not well-established yet or people do not know your full website address, they will end up by going to your competitors’ website.
- The .net domain extension is limited for websites or businesses that offer tech-related information or services.
- May not rank well for commercial sites.
Tips for selecting the best Domain name
Here, are some tips which help you to select the right domain name for your purpose:
- If your preferred domain name is taken, then you can add small words before or after it to make it unique. For example, mystargardening.com
- Make sure your domain name can be easily pronounced. Do not use hyphens or numbers in your domain name.
- Use domain name generator to quickly identify domain name that are not registered.
Which one is better for SEO?
There are many people who want to know which domain extension will help them to get a higher ranking. However, the truth is that selecting either of them will not affect your SEO.
In fact, search engines will treat both of these domain extensions the same. You will require to create useful, targeted content to rank higher.
The main important part will be to be your domain name itself, not the extension. For example, Silverrgardeningservices.com will rank better than silverservices.net because it contains the keyword that people are more likely to search.