This article guides you for “How to install Ubuntu OS on Virtual Box in Windows”. There are many ways to install Ubuntu Linux in your PC. You can dual boot Ubuntu with Windows and it is Permit to you choose one of the Operating System at the boot time. Also, You can clean everything from your system and Install Ubuntu OS .
But, If you want to install Ubuntu OS without making any changes in your Windows Operating System then you choose Virtual Machine way. Using Virtual Machine You can enjoy all the features of Ubuntu as well as Windows or which OS are use.
So, In this tutorial, I will show you how to install Ubuntu OS in Virtual Machine in Windows:
- Minimum 4 GB RAM and 8 GB RAM recommended
- At least 12 GB free Disk Space
- Good Internet connection for downloading Ubuntu ISO file
I am installing Ubuntu 18.04.2 in this tutorial, but the same steps are applied with other Linux distribution such as Kali Linux and Debian etc. So, let’s start
- Step 1- Download and Install Virtual Box
Go to the site of Oracle Virtual Box and download the latest stable version here:
Installing a Virtual Box is not a very hard thing. Just Double Click on the downloaded Virtual Box exe file and follow the instructions which shows on the your laptop screen. It’s like Installing a regular software on your windows.
- Step 2- Download Ubuntu ISO
After, you need to download ISO file of Ubuntu distribution. You can get this file to the official website of Ubuntu or easily download to here:
- Step 3- Install Ubuntu using Virtual Box
- You have installed Virtual Box and download the ISO file for Ubuntu distribution. Next, you are now set to install Ubuntu in Virtual Box.
2. Start the Virtual Box and Click on the New symbol. Give the suitable name to Virtual Box.
3. Allocate Ram in in the Virtual OS. In my system have a 4GB ram so I give a 2GB ram to the Virtual Os. You use a more ram for Virtual OS If your system have a sufficient extra ram.
4. Create a Virtual disk. This disk work as a hard disk of the Virtual Ubuntu System. Here Virtual Machine store all the files of Virtual OS.
5. I will recommend use VDI file type here.
6. You can select either of the option Dynamically allocated or Fixed size for creating a Virtual Hard Disk.
7. The recommended size is 10GB. However, I suggest more size if possible. 30-40 GB is more ideal size for Virtual Hard Disk.
8. Now, we have to set up the Ubuntu disk image ISO file which you downloaded in step 2 . For setup the Ubuntu ISO file-
- Click ‘Storage’
- Click ‘Empty’
- In Attributes click on disk Image and “Choose Virtual Optic Disk File”
- Now, Select your Downloaded Ubuntu ISO file and open it.
9. When everything is set it’s time to boot the Ubuntu Virtual OS and install Ubuntu OS in your Virtual Machine as a Virtual OS.
10. After clicking the start option, a Ubuntu Install Windows is appear. Here, you choose a language and click a install Ubuntu option.
11. After, You can skip to click a Continue option.
12. Select a “Erase disk and Install Ubuntu” option. Do not worry. It will not delete anything in your Windows OS System. It will only erase a Virtual Hard Disk which you can create in starting steps.
13. Just Click on Continue option.
14. Select your Location and click a Continue option.
15. Choose a Language in you feel Comfortable and Click a Continue option.
16. Fill the all details and create a Password. Click a Continue option.
17. Hence, You are almost done. It can take 15-20 minutes in installation.
18. When the Installation is finishes then Power OFF the system and go to Storage > Setting and Remove Ubuntu OS ISO file.
19. Now , Start the Machine again.
20. Hurry, Your Ubuntu Virtual OS is starting…
How to install Kali Linux in virtual box windows 10.
So, Let’s enjoy your Ubuntu OS in Virtual Box!
Note: When your Virtual Machine is lack then close the Virtual Machine and restart.